UPDATE: The search for the missing boater has been called off, Hillsborough County deputies said. Law enforcement will evaluate again in the morning.
PREVIOUS STORY: TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Crews with the U.S. Coast Guard, Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, Hillsborough County Parks Department and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are searching Tampa Bay for a missing 32-year-old man. The crews are looking about two miles west of Little Harbor near Ruskin, Bahia Reef.
Deputies say just before noon the man and a woman were on a 19-foot boat when the anchor got stuck on something below. The man went down to check it out and never came back up.
We’re told the woman is still on the boat. The two had departed from the MacDill Air Force Base boat ramp.
Deputies said the search will continue until dark or the boater is found.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office shared this training video. It shows rescue divers deploying from a chopper. “This is what in part occurred today,” deputies said.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Florida man who killed wife, kids had history of domestic violence, records show
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines