MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – A FedEx Express hub worker fell asleep in the loading area of the plane and ended up on an early-morning flight to Texas.
The Commercial Appeal reports the employee, who wasn’t identified, reportedly woke up in mid-flight, knocked on the cabin door and communicated with pilots via telephone.
The pilots didn’t open the cabin door, but directed the employee to sit in an extra seat in the cargo hold for landing, said Kelly Campbell, director of Preston Smith International Airport in Lubbock, Texas.
On the ground in Lubbock, Campbell says the man was questioned by airport police and other law enforcement officials, but he wasn’t arrested.
She called the Friday morning incident “very unusual.”
FedEx spokesman Jim Masilak said in an emailed statement that there was never any danger to employees or cargo.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Police: Boy, 12, arrested after knife, toy gun incidents
- Principal paddles kindergartner, ignites outrage online
- Suspect in Dover double homicide arrested in KY
- Deputies: Woman strangled to death after her birthday party
- PD: Dog walker arrested for stealing nearly $40K worth of jewelry from client
- Baby mysteriously dies on first day of daycare
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- Brain disorder keeps Michigan boy stuck in Tampa hospital
- Florida mom charged after police say she punched cheerleading coach
- Four arrested in surprise Pinellas probation checks of registered sex offenders
- Woman indicted, accused of live streaming friend’s rape
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines