WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A tiger killed a zookeeper inside a contained area at the Palm Beach Zoo on Friday, according to Palm Beach Zoo spokesperson.
The victim, a woman, was taken to St. Mary’s Medical Center for treatment and was later pronounced dead.
The tiger was tranquilized and rescue workers had to wait for the drugs to take effect before attending to the victim.
The zoo says that the situation was handled according to protocols that are in place for such incidents.
A zoo spokesperson said the tiger was contained in an area and that guests are not at risk.
A number of zoo guests were initially ushered into the gift shop as a precaution.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Two people found murdered at Hillsborough home
- Baby mysteriously dies on the first day of daycare
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- Brain disorder keeps Michigan boy stuck in Tampa hospital
- Florida mom charged after police say she punched cheerleading coach
- Four arrested in surprise Pinellas probation checks of registered sex offenders
- Pinellas man falls victim to ransomware computer attack
- Woman indicted, accused of live streaming friend’s rape
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines