SHEFFIELD, Iowa (KWQC) – A central Iowa woman is going public with a personal struggle, and the public is enthusiastically trying to help.
Megan Hejlik, 30, of Sheffield was adopted and is now trying to find her birth parents.
Last Friday, April 8, Hejlik posted a photo of herself holding a sign on Facebook asking for help finding her birth family. The post has since been shared more than 8,400 times and collected dozens of supportive comments.
“I can’t imagine the emotional journey that this must be for you!” Amber Ruehlow Marzen commented below the post.
“Prayers to you and your family as you search for your birth family! Good luck!”
Facebook user William Wiseman added, “Please keep us all updated on your Journey!!! We’d love to hear how it all turns out for you!!!”
The limited information Hejlik has for her search is contained on the sign she is holding. She was born April 28, 1985 at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Mason City, Iowa. Her mother, who was about 16 at the time, named her “Vanessa.”
Hejlik is hoping enough people will share her story so that it will reach someone who may have information. She asks anyone with details to contact her at email@example.com.
Hejlik says she loves her adoptive parents and knows her biological mom made the choice that was best for her daughter. She says she is looking for closure and to perhaps develop a friendship with the mother she has never known.
Nearly a week after her post, Hejlik tells KWQC there have been no real leads so far.
“Nothing promising yet,” she says, “but I’m keeping my fingers crossed!”
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Two people found murdered at Hillsborough home
- Baby mysteriously dies on the first day of daycare
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- Brain disorder keeps Michigan boy stuck in Tampa hospital
- Florida mom charged after police say she punched cheerleading coach
- Four arrested in surprise Pinellas probation checks of registered sex offenders
- Pinellas man falls victim to ransomware computer attack
- Woman indicted, accused of live streaming friend’s rape
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines