DEBARY, Fla. (AP) – A Florida man was arrested after deputies say he hanged his mother’s dog from a tree and threatened to commit suicide during an eight-hour standoff.
Volusia County Sheriff’s deputies say 24-year-old David Rivera was arrested Thursday and jailed on a $2,000 bond. Online records didn’t indicate whether he has a lawyer.
According to a news release, when police responded to Rivera’s home, his mother told them she had been arguing with him and telling him he would have to move out if he didn’t find a job. She said during the argument, Rivera hanged her 5-year-old Chihuahua from a tree using a dog chain.
Rivera then climbed 30 feet up the tree and tied a metal cable around his neck and a tree limb and threatened to jump. He eventually surrendered.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Cops: Polk school bus driver lured girls with candy, molested them
- Deputies: Woman strangled after her birthday party
- Two people found murdered at Hillsborough home
- Baby mysteriously dies on the first day of daycare
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- Brain disorder keeps Michigan boy stuck in Tampa hospital
- Florida mom charged after police say she punched cheerleading coach
- Four arrested in surprise Pinellas probation checks of registered sex offenders
- Pinellas man falls victim to ransomware computer attack
- Woman indicted, accused of live streaming friend’s rape