Baby mysteriously dies on first day of daycare

Photo: NBC/GoFundMe

SLATINGTON, PA (WFLA) — It was the mother’s first day back to work after maternity leave, and her 3-month-old daughter’s first day at daycare. The day, stressful for any mother, turned tragic when her baby did not wake up from a nap.

Police are now investigating how 3-month-old McKenna Rose Felmly died, as it remains a mystery for her family.

According to a GoFundMe page set up for the family, Adrienne Kromer dropped off McKenna at daycare the morning of April 1, 2016. Kromer had been out on maternity leave since McKenna was born on December 15, 2015. The baby seemed fine when she was dropped off to daycare, Bryan Felmly writes on the page, and Adrienne called throughout the day to check on her baby. It was the first time she was away from her new daughter for longer than an hour-and-a-half.

According to GoFundMe, the trouble started when the baby wouldn’t take a bottle, and that she laid down and had no trouble falling asleep, which was unlike her.

Kromer left work early to go pick her daughter up, but it was too late. The baby was taken to the hospital, where she was pronounced deceased.

According to the Associated Press, the Department of Human Services has ordered the closure of Sharon’s Day Care in Lehigh Township, Northampton County. The closure order says a staffer at Sharon’s put the baby down for a nap on April 1 and left her unsupervised for 25 minutes.

An autopsy failed to determine how McKenna died, but the coroner says her death does not appear to be suspicious. Test results are pending.

Bryan writes, “I’m not sure how we are supposed to go on. There’s no reason why a 3.5 month old healthy baby girl should have lost her life yesterday. Adrienne’s first day back to work. McKenna’s first day at daycare. She feels like shes failed as a mom and I can’t make that go away for her. Adrienne didn’t want to go back to work for this very reason. And now we have to pay the ultimate price.”

As of Friday morning, over $16,000 has been raised on GoFundMe for the family.

Sharon’s did not immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s