ELKHORN, Wis. (AP) — Students will be disciplined for yelling at high school soccer players about Donald Trump’s vow to clamp down on illegal immigration from Mexico during a varsity game in Wisconsin, a school district official said Monday.
Beloit coach Brian Denu told WISC-TV that some Elkhorn students directed racial slurs and shouted ”Donald Trump, build that wall” at Beloit’s minority players during the game. Tadlock said there was no evidence of students shouted racial slurs.
Denu said some of the players left the game, saying the taunts may have come from a small number of students, but that they made a huge impact.
”I could just see the hurt and pain on their faces and know that this was obviously something that they hadn’t seen before,” Denu said. ”You know, it was from a small pocket of the Elkhorn fans, but those words are things you can’t take back.”
Denu said he and other coaches consoled players during and after the game
”Seeing the impact on those kids is something I’ll never forget as a coach,” he said, adding that this isn’t behavior he would expect to see in 2016.
Tadlock said the school district will ”address the behavior of those responsible, but will not release specifics of student disciplinary action taken.”
Tadlock said the game officials didn’t hear the chants.
Students in Indiana and Iowa have recently been admonished for similar chants at high school games in apparent support of the Republican presidential candidate’s campaign promise to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border to prevent immigrants from entering the country illegally.
OTHER TOP CLICKED STORIES PEOPLE ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: Contract worker allegedly hits family’s dogs with wrench
- Cops: Too much music, masturbation caused man to vandalize Largo home
- Mother to give her side of the story in crash that killed 3 teens
- Man accused of using home as a torture chamber
- Man dies after taking ‘super pill’ street drug
- Woman accused of offering sex for $3 to covert cop
- Man killed at Plant City gas station
- Naked man arrested for making threats while watering his lawn
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines