NEWARK, N.J. – Jonathan Drouin scored the winning goal in his second-chance return to the NHL and the Tampa Bay Lightning clinched home-ice advantage for the first round of the playoffs with a 4-2 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Thursday night.
Eric Condra and Cedric Paquette also scored and Ben Bishop made 20 saves as the injury-plagued Lightning snapped a two-game losing streak and won for only the third time in seven games. Valtteri Filppula scored an empty-net goal in the final minute.
The Lightning, who finish the regular season at Montreal on Saturday, will face either Boston or Detroit in the opening round.
Sergey Kalinin scored twice for the Devils, who have now missed the playoffs the past four seasons and five of six. Keith Kinkaid made 18 saves for New Jersey, which wraps up the season at home on Saturday against Toronto.
MORE TOP-CLICKED STORIES:
- 12-year-old body-slammed by police officer, video goes viral
- Hackers targeting Netflix accounts in Tampa Bay
- Firefighters work tirelessly through the night to put out Ybor nightclub fire
- CENTCOM employee charged with trying to entice child for sexual activity
- Driver says Florida trooper was watching YouTube while driving
- Florida man with Florida tattoo on face charged with burglary
- MUST SEE: 15-foot gator killed in hunt at Florida farm
- 3 injured in crash involving Hillsborough school bus
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines