EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) Webster Dictionary has over 470,000 definitions because we want to define everything.
One Evansville, Indiana teen decided she wasn’t going to be defined anymore, WFIE reported.
“She had me label myself and many others in my gym class as ‘obese,’” said Tessa. “A lot of girls left there upset and I wanted to do something about it.”
A recent homework assignment asked Tessa Embry and other students to calculate their body mass index, which measures body fat based on height and weight.
A BMI number defines someone as underweight, thin, healthy, overweight, or obese.
There’s no way for the formula to discriminate fat over muscle.
In it, she describes her physical characteristics and informs her teacher that the homework assignment doesn’t deserve a response.Tessa wrote a two-page response to that homework assignment.
MORE TOP-CLICKED STORIES:
- 12-year-old body-slammed by police officer, video goes viral
- Hackers targeting Netflix accounts in Tampa Bay
- Firefighters work tirelessly through the night to put out Ybor nightclub fire
- CENTCOM employee charged with trying to entice child for sexual activity
- Driver says Florida trooper was watching YouTube while driving
- Florida man with Florida tattoo on face charged with burglary
- MUST SEE: 15-foot gator killed in hunt at Florida farm
- 3 injured in crash involving Hillsborough school bus
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines