NEW YORK – Derek Stepan scored twice and set up Chris Kreider’s winner while rallying the New York Rangers to a 3-2 victory over the playoff-bound Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday night.
Henrik Lundqvist withstood a 21-shot first-period barrage and finished with 39 saves as the Rangers won their second straight game. Mats Zuccarello added two assists for New York, which will be without captain Ryan McDonagh for the final week of the regular season because of an upper-body injury.
Andrej Sustr and Brian Boyle staked the Lightning to an early 2-0 lead, but they could not hold off the Rangers in the final two periods. Andrei Vasilevskiy made 25 saves for Tampa Bay, which earned its third straight playoff berth when Boston lost in a shootout to Carolina.
MORE TOP-CLICKED STORIES:
- Injuries reported in crash involving Hillsborough school bus
- Polk Sheriff: Men brought candy, condoms, narcotics, to have sex with kids
- Mother-daughter duo charged with drug crimes in Pasco County
- Cops: 4 men raped girl while her mother smoked meth in garage
- Children attacked by knife-wielding man during P.E. class
- Cardiologist explains Steven Stamkos’ condition, signs to watch out for
- Dog found with head duct-taped in SC
- Brewpub’s founder writes about banning sexist customer
- Homeowners raking in extra cash renting houses out for Sun -N- Fun
- Only on 8: Police admit officer made a mistake but said protocol was followed
- Court docs: Disguised camera recorded nude woman in tanning room
- Veteran claims she was kicked off airplane because of support dog
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines