PEACHTREE CORNERS, Ga. (AP) — Police in metro Atlanta say they have arrested a woman who held her newborn grandchild hostage following a domestic argument.
Gwinnett County police Cpl. Michele Pihera said in a news release a four-hour standoff with a SWAT team ended peacefully Tuesday morning. She says the 4-week-old baby was unharmed and the child’s grandmother, 57-year-old Laurie Morgan, was charged with aggravated assault and reckless conduct.
Police say the standoff began with a domestic argument at the Highland Corners Apartments, where Morgan grabbed the baby while holding a gun, then walked outside with the child and fired a gunshot.
Police dispatched a SWAT team, which hours later entered the apartment and arrested Morgan.
MORE TOP-CLICKED STORIES:
- MUST SEE: 15-foot gator killed in hunt at Florida farm
- 3 injured in crash involving Hillsborough school bus
- Polk Sheriff: Men brought candy, condoms, narcotics, to have sex with kids
- Mother-daughter duo charged with drug crimes in Pasco County
- Cops: 4 men raped girl while her mother smoked meth in garage
- Children attacked by knife-wielding man during P.E. class
- Dog found with head duct-taped in SC
- Brewpub’s founder writes about banning sexist customer
- Homeowners raking in extra cash renting houses out for Sun -N- Fun
- Only on 8: Police admit officer made a mistake but said protocol was followed
- Court docs: Disguised camera recorded nude woman in tanning room
- Veteran claims she was kicked off airplane because of support dog
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines