ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) — A charred telephone pole, singed wires and a blackened palm tree, mark the spot where an arsonist last hit.
Three weeks ago, he set fire to a dumpster, torching the container and some furniture set out for the garbage truck.
The arsonist ignited the dumpster and other items right next to Frank Gallagher’s house.
“It almost seems like somebody just casually lighting fires, not so much to cause damage, but to you know, just somebody’s being silly. Malicious almost,” said Gallagher.
Fire investigators have some people in mind who may be responsible for the series of fires in a 6-block square near the Crescent Lake neighborhood.
“We did get some leads when we posted it a couple of week ago that we had some suspicious activity in the area of Crescent Lake. We’re following up on those leads at this time,” said St. Petersburg Deputy Fire Marshal, Lt. Steven Lawrence.
The arsons began with a car fire back in January. 8 On Your Side has agreed to keep some of their investigative techniques secret, so as not to blow the hunt for the arsonist.
Investigators say he hasn’t set a fire since March 11.
“There is always that possibility that the individual is incarcerated at this time. But we don’t know if the news or the media getting the word out there that the individual is starting to lay low a little bit,” said Lt. Lawrence.
The map below shows the locations of the arsons.
MORE TOP CLICKED STORIES TODAY:
- Driver says Florida trooper was watching YouTube while driving
- Woman’s Instagram account disabled after cake was mistaken for breast
- MUST SEE: 15-foot gator killed in hunt at Florida farm
- Cops: Citrus day care owner had 2 bags of meth
- Historic Colonnade Restaurant closes its doors, opens site for new development
- Heart-pounding body cam video captures suspect’s shooting
- Patient: I’d fail drug test unless sex with counselor
- Florida man with Florida tattoo on face charged with burglary
- Police: Aunt kept toddler in closet before killing her
- Cops: Local preschool owner had spoon with meth residue
- 2-thousand pound bull takes swim in family’s pool
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines