ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – Terry Bollea, better known to the world as wrestler Hulk Hogan, was back in a St. Petersburg courtroom Wednesday.
Attorney’s for the website Gawker asked a judge to throw out a verdict and jury award given to Bollea after a three-week March trial. Bollea sued Gawker after the site posted a sex video showing the well-known personality having sex with the then-wife of Bubba the Love Sponge Clem.
Attorney’s for Gawker argued the $140 million awarded by the jury was excessive. “The size of the verdict is that this is born out of passion and prejudice,” Gawker attorney Paul Safier said.
Bollea’s attorneys’ argued the jury award was decided after careful consideration of the evidence. “The jury found that what they did was utterly intolerable in a civilized community,” Bollea attorney Shane Vogt said.
Judge Pamela Campbell denied Gawker’s motion for a new trial and denied another motion to reduce the $140 million jury verdict.
“We look forward to the legal process continuing and expect to be vindicated. Just days after Gawker Media’s site Gizmodo exposed that Facebook’s news section has suppressed certain points of view, we’ve now learned that a Facebook board member and a major funder of The Committee to Protect Journalists has been secretly funding a legal campaign against our journalists. There are very serious questions about whether Hulk Hogan financially benefitted and this case is far from over,” Gawker said in a statement.
MORE TOP-CLICKED STORIES:
- MUST SEE: 15-foot gator killed in hunt at Florida farm
- 3 injured in crash involving Hillsborough school bus
- Polk Sheriff: Men brought candy, condoms, narcotics, to have sex with kids
- Mother-daughter duo charged with drug crimes in Pasco County
- Cops: 4 men raped girl while her mother smoked meth in garage
- Children attacked by knife-wielding man during P.E. class
- Dog found with head duct-taped in SC
- Brewpub’s founder writes about banning sexist customer
- Homeowners raking in extra cash renting houses out for Sun -N- Fun
- Only on 8: Police admit officer made a mistake but said protocol was followed
- Court docs: Disguised camera recorded nude woman in tanning room
- Veteran claims she was kicked off airplane because of support dog
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines