CITRUS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A Citrus County day care owner faces a drug charge after deputies say she had two bags of meth in her pocket.
Cassandra Romanik was pulled over on Monday at NE 3rd Avenue and NE Crystal Street after deputies observed her going past a stop sign. Deputies said she stopped a quarter of a vehicle length over the stop bar.
Deputies also said Romanik appeared to be nervous and fidgety as they talked to her. They asked Romanik if there was anything illegal in the vehicle or on her. She responded “no” and gave deputies permission to search her vehicle, according to the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies asked Romanik to step out of the vehicle and asked her again if she had anything illegal on her. Romanik told deputies there was nothing in the vehicle but she did have meth in her front pocket. Romanik also told deputies she got the meth from a friend at the bar and did not want to get in trouble for it, according to the sheriff’s office.
The suspect was asked to remove the drug from her pocket and place it on the bumper of the car, deputies said. She took out a crinkled dollar bill and inside was two separate clear plastic baggies that contained a crystal-like substance, according to the sheriff’s office.
Deputies said Romanik told them the meth was hers and it was given to her for personal use. She also told deputies she doesn’t use the drug on a regular basis, according to the sheriff’s office. The suspect allegedly told deputies that she couldn’t get in trouble because she is the owner of Countryside Preschool.
A field test revealed the drug to be methamphetamine.
Romanik was arrested and charged with possession of meth. She also received a written warning for the stop sign/stop bar violation at the corner of NE 3rd Street and NE 3rd Avenue.
Deputies seized her vehicle. Romanik was booked into the Citrus County Jail with bond set at $2,000. She has since bonded out.
OTHER TOP CLICKED STORIES PEOPLE ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: Contract worker allegedly hits family’s dogs with wrench
- Cops: Too much music, masturbation caused man to vandalize Largo home
- Mother to give her side of the story in crash that killed 3 teens
- Man accused of using home as a torture chamber
- Man dies after taking ‘super pill’ street drug
- Woman accused of offering sex for $3 to covert cop
- Man killed at Plant City gas station
- Naked man arrested for making threats while watering his lawn
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines