BRUSH, CO (KUSA) — By the mood of the party and the music that echoed off the walls, the last thing most would expect Mary Bostrom to say about her birthday is that it’s just another celebration.
“It’s just — I had birthdays, that’s all,” Bostrom said.
But her friends and family will tell you it’s always a big deal with someone gets to celebrate birthday number 99.
“There’s a lot of things that happen in 99 years,” Howard, Mary’s son, said. “They’ve seen a lot of changes.”
Yet the one constant, Howard said, has always been his mother’s love of music.
“She’d been around music all her life. She learned to play by ear,” he said. “When I grew up, I took piano lessons. She was always in the kitchen telling me if I went too fast or too slow.”
And with the love of music came a knack for rhythm, which always translated to the dance floor for her and her 10 siblings, especially her sister, Esther.
“Anytime I can get behind any kind of music, boy I’ll take a hold of it and play my music,” Mary said. “I love to play the drums.”
Not exactly what you’d expect from most 99-year-olds, but Mary says she knows how to play plenty of songs.
“To tell you the truth about it,” she explains, “I know so many of them I couldn’t tell ya.”
All inspired by her absolute favorite drummer.
“Well, my favorite drummer is me,” Mary said. “It’s me.”
Read more: http://on9news.tv/1pZQpKx
MORE TOP CLICKED STORIES TODAY:
- News Channel 8 there as man attempts to break into Tampa church
- Thousands of jellyfish invade Florida beach
- Dad dragged by child’s school bus
- Missing mom found dead in SUV; 3 children alive
- St. Pete police to ticket pedestrians, bicyclists who break the law
- Night nurse gets rude note on pizza box
- Teacher arrested for sex with student days after wife booked on similar charge
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines