ST. ALBANS, Vt. (AP) — A New York City man has pleaded not guilty after police say they found more than 1,400 bags of heroin stashed inside his body.
Vermont State Police say 41-year-old Fernando Estrella of the Bronx was pulled over for a traffic violation early Tuesday in St. Albans. Authorities say a police dog detected drugs but police did not find any in the minivan.
Police say they got a warrant for a body cavity search and 1,428 bags of heroin were removed from Estrella at a hospital.
Estrella pleaded not guilty to felony heroin possession, heroin trafficking, heroin importation and violating conditions of his release.
He’s being held Wednesday. It was not immediately known if he had a lawyer who could comment on his behalf. A message left at the public defenders’ office after hours was not returned.
MORE TOP CLICKED STORIES TODAY:
- News Channel 8 there as man attempts to break into Tampa church
- Thousands of jellyfish invade Florida beach
- Dad dragged by child’s school bus
- Missing mom found dead in SUV; 3 children alive
- St. Pete police to ticket pedestrians, bicyclists who break the law
- Night nurse gets rude note on pizza box
- Teacher arrested for sex with student days after wife booked on similar charge
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines