LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) – Louis Panebianco, 93, loved to come home to his driveway mural of his deceased dog, Lady. But one day he walked outside to find the mural defaced, with tire tracks right over Lady’s face.
“Somebody should take the responsibility for this,” Panebianco said.
But nobody would. “No one seems to care,” Panebianco said.
The tracks came as a result of multiple mistakes the day the Schalamar Creek neighborhood paved his street. Residents complain there were no cones blocking traffic, and it wasn’t clear that sticky tar was on the road. Panebianco’s caretaker unknowingly drove on the street and into his driveway. Management puts some blame on the drivers, saying there are hundreds of homes in the neighborhood and only four residents complained.
Four driveways, including Panebianco’s, were left with tire tracks right on top of custom – expensive – driveway designs.
“I drove down the part that wasn’t paved, but I didn’t know that it had the sticky substance that helped hold the asphalt on it,” homeowner Sandy River said, pointing to her defaced driveway. Tire tracks now cover a painting of palm trees.
Complaints to community management went nowhere, so the neighbors called 8 On Your Side. Chip Tucker of Tucker Paving sent crews out to the neighborhood within hours of a call from News Channel 8.
“We don’t think we did anything wrong,” Tucker said. “We’ve never had this happen before, but we want to make these residents happy.”
Crews scrubbed and scrubbed until the stubborn tar stains were gone.
Panebianco and other residents were thrilled. “I’m pleased with what the results are right now,” he said. “Very pleased.”
Now, Panebianco can once again enjoy his mural of his special friend, Lady.
“Thanks to Channel 8 for taking this in their hands right away the way they did,” Panebianco said. “I appreciate it very much.”
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Night nurse gets rude note on pizza box
- Missing mom found dead in SUV; 3 children alive
- Police: Mom admits ‘whooping’ 4-year-old found dead on birthday
- FHP: Driver drops cigarette, hits Hernando mom, 2 kids walking on side of road
- Teacher arrested for sex with student days after wife booked on similar charge
- WOW! Coca-Cola van stuck in sinkhole
- 14-month-old girl dies following dental visit
- Melbourne woman accused of shooting husband in genitals, report says
- WATCH: Three women arrested after video captures riverbank beating
- Tampa Bay area police agencies see spike in drug-laced candy
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines