LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) – The people coming from all over the world for the annual Sun -N- Fun are going to need somewhere to stay. Lakeland families are taking advantage of the opportunity and making some cash, by renting out their homes.
Ryan Taylor and his wife cleaned for two days to make sure their home was move-in ready. They are staying with family for the next week, while a group attending Sun -N- Fun takes over their house.
“Between $2,700 and $2,750, is what we’ve been blessed throughout the years to get for our home,” Taylor said. They’ve been renting their home out for the airshow for the past four years. The extra cash really helps.
“Our goal has been to make my wife a stay-at-home mom, so we’re working on paying off college loans and car loans,” Taylor said.
The neighborhood is close to shopping, restaurants and the Polk Parkway. Getting to the airport only takes a few minutes, so it’s a prime spot for the aviation enthusiasts.
“We save a lot of money by renting houses,” said Marvona Welsh, from Indiana. “It’s kind of nice to have a home. You can cook your own food, make your sandwiches and sit in the living room. So it’s kind of like a home away from home,” Welsh said.
Welsh is a repeat customer of the Taylors. “You get to know the people, and they always feel like family,” she said.
Just down the street, Shawn Poole’s home is still available. He rented it out last year and took a vacation. “For one week last year, we made $2,400. I paid for almost three months worth of mortgage. It was good extra income,” Poole said.
To protect themselves, homeowners and their guests sign contracts, similar to when you rent an apartment. The guests even pay a deposit.
In all, guests usually stay seven or eight days, flying in a day before the show and leaving a day after it ends, which is Sunday.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Night nurse gets rude note on pizza box
- Missing mom found dead in SUV; 3 children alive
- Police: Mom admits ‘whooping’ 4-year-old found dead on birthday
- FHP: Driver drops cigarette, hits Hernando mom, 2 kids walking on side of road
- Teacher arrested for sex with student days after wife booked on similar charge
- WOW! Coca-Cola van stuck in sinkhole
- 14-month-old girl dies following dental visit
- Melbourne woman accused of shooting husband in genitals, report says
- WATCH: Three women arrested after video captures riverbank beating
- Tampa Bay area police agencies see spike in drug-laced candy
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines