TAMPA, FL (WFLA) — Organizations in the community will team up to build, then distribute, 100 new bicycles to underprivileged kids around Tampa Bay before the Lightning game on Monday.
The Tampa Bay Lightning, the Tampa Bay Sports Commission, Replay Tampa Bay, Elder Automotive, onbikes and Flying Fish Bikes are teaming up for the first time to assemble 100 new youth bikes, benefiting United Way Suncoast Agencies. The event is scheduled for 2 p.m. outside the Amalie Arena.
Each bike will then be gifted during a presentation ceremony on Ford Thunder Alley shortly before the Lightning game against the Toronto Maple Leafs Monday evening.
Aligned with the Replay Tampa Bay mission, onbikes is a Tampa-based non-profit organization formed in 2011 to raise funds for at-risk youth.
Aimed to providing kids their first bike, onbikes is restoring the self-confidence, health, and overall well-being of the at-risk youth of the community. Over the past five years, onbikes has provided more than 2,000 bicycles to at-risk and foster kids throughout the Bay area.
“Together, we believe sports and an active lifestyle can play an important role in a child’s life, helping them to become healthy, self-assured and dynamic future leaders,” said Kasey Smith, Senior Director of Community Relations for the Tampa Bay Lighting.
Fans are encouraged to donate a new or gently used sporting good at the collection station that will be staged on Ford Thunder Alley on the West Plaza.
Replay Tampa Bay is an annual donation drive that collects new and gently used sporting goods in an effort to help keep local kids “in the game”. Thousands of items have been collected and distributed to local kids in need since 2011. For more information on the program, visit ReplayTampaBay.com.
Members of the Tampa Bay community can also donate to the drive at the following Elder Ford locations:
- Elder Ford of Tampa, 9560 North Florida Avenue, Tampa
- Jaguar of Tampa, 320 East Fletcher Avenue, Tampa
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Suspects killed in shooting with TPD officer identified
- 2 dead, venomous snakes found in package at post office
- Cops: Teen dies after shooting Lakeland security guard in face with pellet gun
- Alligator kills 85lb. family dog on Hilton Head Island
- Roaches close 2 Tampa Bay area restaurants
- CA substitute teacher meltdown caught on video
- Woman accused of having sex with a Dachshund
- Police: Upon finding Taco Bell closed, angry man smashes car
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines