KENT, WA (WFLA) – A Washington State mother is demanding answers after her special-needs daughter fell over in her wheelchair and slammed on the floor of her school bus. The incident was caught on surveillance video.
Video from January shows 7-year-old Charlotte Mccollum sitting in her wheelchair on a school bus. As the bus driver turns the corner, her wheelchair tips over, and slams to the ground. Staff rushes to her side.
“It scares me so much,” said Natasha Hall, Charlotte’s mother
Charlotte is a special needs student currently in the first grade at Jenkins Creek Elementary. At the time of the accident, her mother didn’t think the injuries were that serious.
“As the next day wore on, she starts getting more and more vocal in her pain, and she can’t tell us, because she’s non-verbal. She can’t tell us how bad it’s hurting,” Hall recounted.
The Kent School District says what happened was a mistake.
“Evidently we had a bus driver who’s responsible for securing students that are in wheelchairs and just did not appropriately secure that student,” Chris Loftis, Kent School District Spokesman said.
But Hall says this accident is the latest in a string of incidents since Charlotte was in pre-school.
“Unlike my son who can walk and talk, Charlotte is absolutely 100 percent vulnerable. It is like I am handing them an infant,” Hall explains.
She says the district has repeatedly failed to protect her daughter and provide her with a proper education. Charlotte’s parent even took the district to court. A judge sided with the family, but she says the district is still not in compliance.
Hall is also requesting that the Kent School District cover all of her daughter’s medical costs for injuries she suffers at school.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Roaches close 2 Tampa Bay area restaurants
- PHOTOS: Storms, shelf clouds in Tampa Bay
- Baby girl with ‘perfect hair’ becomes internet star
- Siblings from NY confirmed dead in Brussels bombings
- Florida deputies: Woman recorded herself having sex with dogs
- Woman accuses hospital of removing wrong body part during surgery
- Strong winds damage 18 homes overnight in Dade City
- Royal Caribbean cancels 6 Miami cruises
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines