HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL (WFLA) – A 28-year-old registered sex offender is behind bars after having sex with a teenager and getting her pregnant, Hillsborough deputies said.
Jafar Rashad Smith, 28, was arrested Thursday. His victim, a 15-year-old girl, identified him from an Instagram photo as Jafar Smith. The girl’s mother was able to find his old booking photo and record on Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office website and figure out his true age.
Soon the girl realized she was pregnant and Smith was the only man she’d had sex with, according to HCSO.
The man was adjudicated in 2009 as a Florida registered sexual offender for Lewd, Lascivious, Battery on a victim 12-15 years old.
Smith was arrested on the charge of a Lewd and Lascivious Battery on a child and taken to the Hillsborough County jail. He is held without bail. Detectives say they do not know about any more victims but they continue to investigate the case.
TODAY’S TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- Police: Man injects heroin at Lakeland PD bathroom
- Grady Judd: Not good idea ‘to taunt the Sheriff’s Office on Facebook’
- Joe’s Crab Shack in MN apologized for offensive table decor
- Tampa church volunteers complete renovations after missing money, pastor suicide
- Wounded Warrior fires execs over spending accusations
- Tow companies target cars with expired tag stickers
- Police: Dad leaves baby in car, goes into strip club
- VIDEO: Brawl breaks out over boom box on LAX-bound flight
- Drug-laced gummy candies prompt Pittsburgh-area school investigation
- Mom bills son $1,000 for being an unappreciative jerk
- >>Back to WFLA.com homepage for the latest stories making headlines