HILTON HEAD, SC (WFLA) – A charter boat captain is getting a lot of attention after posting pictures of a 2,500 pound Great White Shark caught off Hilton Head Island.
According to the Captain Chip Michalove of Outcast Sport Fishing the shark was hooked just before 3pm Wednesday.
“It was like a submarine with a tail on it, is what it was,” Captain Michaelove recounted.
After four hours of battling the shark, it was finally pulled near the boat.
“It just took off like a train, and the biggest shark I have ever seen jumps out of the water, completely out of the water straight up, my customer standing on the other side just about had a heart attack, then we got the anchor in and just started chasing, and we were off. We were chasing all over the ocean … I think it went on for over four hours.”
The two men called for backup after a few hours as they became exhausted trying to reel in the massive shark. Once they brought it to the boat, it was so dark outside they had their use cell phones to get the hook out of the shark’s mouth.
“I tell everybody this thing could bring down an airplane, and it just about did yesterday.”
After tagging the shark, the crew released her back to the South Carolina waters, healthy and alive.
Source: WJCL. WCMH Contributed to this report
TODAY’S TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- Tampa church volunteers complete renovations after missing money, pastor suicide
- Wounded Warrior fires execs over spending accusations
- Tow companies target cars with expired tag stickers
- Police: Dad leaves baby in car, goes into strip club
- VIDEO: Brawl breaks out over boom box on LAX-bound flight
- Drug-laced gummy candies prompt Pittsburgh-area school investigation
- Mom bills son $1,000 for being an unappreciative jerk
- >>Back to WFLA.com homepage for the latest stories making headlines