UTAH (KSL) – An 8-year-old boy was recently abandoned at a Utah hospital holding a note from his mother saying she did not want him, according to police.
The note said: “This kid is rude and ungovernable! I do not want him in my house at all!”
The boy’s mother, Kathy Sherrer, 36, of West Jordan, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with child abandonment, a third-degree felony, and child abuse, a class A misdemeanor.
However, Sherrer said Wednesday that she believed she was simply taking advantage of Utah’s so-called Safe Haven law.
“I thought that it was OK that we could drop them off and it was a Safe Haven place,” she said. “I wasn’t sure about the Safe Haven laws or what it meant. … I really did not know any other way to go about it.”
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Code for pedophiles ends up on children’s toys sold at Monster Jam
- Robbers point gun at toddler, enraged Florida grandmother goes on attack
- Polk deputies charge five men in gruesome murder case
- Attractive felon is ready to model
- Only on 8: Dozens overdose, several die after using ‘super spice’
- Imposter scam spreading on phones and computers around Tampa Bay area
- Police: 5 dead, 3 injured after Pa. backyard party ambushed
- Padi sparks more controversy after biting service dog