TAMPA, Fla. — Authorities say deputies fatally shot a man who aimed a BB gun at them at a Tampa apartment complex.
Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Larry McKinnon says in a news release that at least four deputies responded Tuesday night to the Windwood Oaks Apartments in North Tampa after 911 calls about man screaming and waiving a gun.
McKinnon says deputies found 27-year-old Jeffery Casale outside his home and told him multiple times to drop what appeared to be a semi-automatic handgun. Casale was extremely agitated and reportedly began to advance on the deputies, pointing the gun at them, according to the Sheriff’s Office. At that time, the deputies opened fire. Casale was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died.
The gun turned out to be a Colt Defender air pistol.
No deputies were injured in the shooting. The deputies involved are placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Bloods gang member arrested after traffic stop leads to gun, drug bust
- Deputies stop wrong-way driver with history of arrests
- Polk deputies investigating suspicious incident; man approached 11-year-old girl
- Man shot, killed by deputies outside Tampa apartment complex
- Robbers point gun at toddler, enraged Florida grandmother goes on attack
- SEE IT: Car nearly crashes into California TV reporter while on air
- SeaWorld whale that killed trainer now very sick with lung infection