TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — An outpouring of support from the community has prompted Spaghetti Warehouse corporate headquarters to keep the longtime Ybor City location open, instead of closing it as announced a few weeks ago.
The restaurant, which is located at 1911 13th St. was slated to close on March 10.
“After more than 25 years in the community, we have made the difficult business decision to suspend operations and announce the closure of the Spaghetti Warehouse Restaurant in Tampa, Florida, located in Historic Ybor City,” the restaurant said in a news release announcing the closure, giving “business conditions” as the reason for the closure.
Once word got out that the restaurant would be closing, customers have been flocking there for one last meal. This week, customers waited an average of 2 1/2 hours to get in.
On Wednesday, March 9, Spaghetti Warehouse announced it had made a last-minute decision and the restaurant would remain open for up to a year, until a new Tampa-area location is found.
“Our management team was so moved by the overwhelming response and tremendous support we’ve received from the community that we made a last-minute decision to stay open,” said Doug Pak, president and CEO of BLD Brands, the parent company that owns Spaghetti Warehouse.
With regard to its future, Pak said the company will soon set up a polling site for people to offer suggestions for a new location, as well as to solicit ideas about a new prototype for Spaghetti Warehouse.
Currently, there are 14 Spaghetti Warehouse Restaurants in Texas, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Texas.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Florida substitute teacher arrested for teaching while intoxicated
- Drivers advised to avoid Alt. 19 in Pinellas after water main break, serious crash
- Deputies: Drunk driver rear-ended car with such force it killed passenger in front seat
- Mom bills son $1,000 for being an unappreciative jerk
- Bloods gang member arrested after traffic stop leads to gun, drug bust
- Deputies stop wrong-way driver with history of arrests
- Polk deputies investigating suspicious incident; man approached 11-year-old girl
- Man shot, killed by deputies outside Tampa apartment complex
- Robbers point gun at toddler, enraged Florida grandmother goes on attack
- SEE IT: Car nearly crashes into California TV reporter while on air
- SeaWorld whale that killed trainer now very sick with lung infection