TAMPA, FL (WFLA) — A motorcyclist was killed in a crash with a vehicle at the intersection of Dale Mabry Highway and Cypress Street in Tampa after an alleged drunk driver struck him early Wednesday, police say.
Tampa police say the motorcyclist, 26-year-old Daniel Nau of Wesley Chapel was driving south on Dale Mabry when the suspect driving a pickup truck violated his right of way, making a left hand turn in front of the motorcycle. Nau was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the pickup truck, 37-year-old Jermaine Buie of Tampa, was arrested for DUI manslaughter.
The intersection was closed for hours Wednesday morning as Tampa Police investigated the crash.
No further details have been released.
Just last week the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released data showing Florida leads the nation in motorcycle fatalities. AAA says one out of five of vehicle fatalities in the State of Florida involves a motorcycle.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Bloods gang member arrested after traffic stop leads to gun, drug bust
- Deputies stop wrong-way driver with history of arrests
- Polk deputies investigating suspicious incident; man approached 11-year-old girl
- Man shot, killed by deputies outside Tampa apartment complex
- Robbers point gun at toddler, enraged Florida grandmother goes on attack
- SEE IT: Car nearly crashes into California TV reporter while on air
- SeaWorld whale that killed trainer now very sick with lung infection