ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) – SeaWorld officials say the killer whale responsible for the death of a trainer is very sick.
In a post on the park’s blog Tuesday, officials say Tilikum appears to have a bacterial infection in his lungs. They say the infection has been resistant to treatment thus far, so veterinarians are just trying to manage it and make sure he is comfortable.
“The suspected bacteria is very resistant to treatment and a cure for his illness has not been found,” SeaWorld Orlando said in a WESH TV report.
Tilikum has been at SeaWorld for 23 years.
The orca was blamed for the death of trainer Dawn Brancheau in 2010.
The documentary “Blackfish” chronicled Tilikum’s life and fueled criticism of SeaWorld by animal rights’ activists.
More SeaWorld stories:
- Did SeaWorld ignore killer whale’s history?
- SeaWorld’s hyper-coaster on way to Orlando
- Jane Goodall: SeaWorld ‘should be closed down’
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
DON’T MISS THESE STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Robbers point gun at toddler, enraged Florida grandmother goes on attack
- Lockdowns lifted at 4 Lakeland schools, police still searching for shooting suspect
- VIDEO: Naked woman dancing atop truck slows Houston traffic
- One man dead after South Tampa shooting
- 8 On Your Side helps couple keep home after title mistake
- Faces of 9 unidentified victims hidden from public eye
- Boston Marathon bombing survivor Victoria McGrath dies in overseas crash
- Cops: Speeding driver blew a tire, crashed into 8 vehicles on Howard Frankland Bridge
- Scary new skimmer threat discovered in Sarasota