PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A 4-year-old boy accidentally shot his mother Tuesday as she was driving in Putnam County, deputies said. It happened near Rowland Avenue and State Road 20 in Palatka.
The child was in the car’s backseat when the shooting happened, officials said. Deputies saw the car around 3:04 p.m. and realized the driver was in trouble.
Officials don’t know how the child got the gun, where it came from or who owns it. The Putnam County Sheriff’s Office is investigating. In addition, the Florida Department of Children and Families will be notified.
The mom is in stable condition at UF Health Shands in Gainesville. The boy is being reunited with family members.
DON’T MISS THESE STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- VIDEO: Naked woman dancing atop truck slows Houston traffic
- One man dead after South Tampa shooting
- 8 On Your Side helps couple keep home after title mistake
- Faces of 9 unidentified victims hidden from public eye
- Boston Marathon bombing survivor Victoria McGrath dies in overseas crash
- Cops: Speeding driver blew a tire, crashed into 8 vehicles on Howard Frankland Bridge
- Scary new skimmer threat discovered in Sarasota