Horse and dog die after eating poisoned cookie

Wikimedia Commons photo credit Highway Patrol Images

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a horse and a dog were killed, and another horse was sickened, after the animals ate poisoned cookies that apparently were deliberately left for them to eat.

Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Sgt. Cecile Focha said Tuesday deputies recently identified a person of interest in the poisoning case, but authorities would not give any details.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports the animals became ill on Feb. 12 after someone planted the homemade cookies on the woman’s property in an unincorporated area of Sebastopol.

Necropsies on the horse and dog that died revealed they had ingested oleander, a plant that is poisonous to horses, dogs, cats, cows and birds.

Deputies said the case appears to be an isolated incident, and authorities have warned neighbors near where the poisoning occurred.


Blue_download_app_button provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s