SULPHUR SPRINGS, FL (WFLA) — A 35-year-old man is in the hospital for burns, and three other adults made it out safe after a house fire broke out in Sulphur Springs early Tuesday morning.
A neighbor called 911 at 3:50 a.m. to report the fire at the home on East Sitka Street. Smoke and flames were coming from the roof on the front end of the structure. Crews had the fire out by 4:17 a.m.
Carmen Ortiz, 73, told News Channel 8 she lost her ID, personal items, and medical necessities in the fire. Her two sons and two dogs made it out safely.
The 35-year-old male was transported to Tampa General with burns he received while trying to put the fire out. He has non-life threatening injuries.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury while fighting the fire and is expected to return to full duty.
Tampa Fire Rescue says the fire started in the front living room from an unattended cigarette after someone fell asleep. The fire caused extensive damage to the front and side of the structure and heavy smoke damage throughout the entire structure.
The estimated loss to the structure and its contents is $29,000.