Rodent droppings, live roaches found at Tampa Bay area restaurants

State inspectors temporarily closed two Tampa Bay eateries from February 8 to 12, 2016. We’ve listed the restaurants that were closed below, along with details about what inspectors say they found.

Rana Grill and Kabab located at 2047 E. Fowler Ave. in Tampa

Feb. 9, 2016: Restaurant temporarily closed with 23 violations

  • Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found: 10 dry hard rodent droppings found under mop sink in storage/ prep room off of kitchen.
  • Stop Sale Order issued for bag of rice after rodent chew marks found on bag
  • Fur found in sticky trap under mop sink in food storage/ prep room off of kitchen.
  • Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found: 16 found in wood shelving, 4 found on water heater, 1 found on wall in main kitchen area. The operator killed and discarded this roach.
  • Accumulation of dead or trapped birds, insects, rodents, or other pests, in control devices: 10 dead roaches trapped on sticky trap storage room.

Feb. 9, 2016: Restaurant reopened with 15 violations

Amore by Andrea located at 555 Bay Isles Parkway in Longboat Key

Feb. 9, 2016: Restaurant temporarily closed with 18 violations

  • Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found: 12 at dish machine, 3 under 2-compartment sink, 2 under 3-compartment sink, 1 in roller tray at kitchen entrance.
  • 3 dead roaches found on premises.
  • Roach excrement and/or droppings present on top of the dish machine.
  • Potentially hazardous cold food held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees: Amaretto 47°F. tuna 48°F.

Feb. 11, 2016: Restaurant reopened with 3 violations

The following 8 Tampa Bay restaurants received the most violations during inspections conducted from February 8 to 12, 2016

Ocean Blue located at 13030 N. Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa, 53 violations

  • Fly strips on cook’s line.
  • Food stored on floor.
  • The following potentially hazardous cold foods were held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees: Krab 46 ° F , conch 48 ° F , tuna 48 ° F , salmon 47 ° F . All items placed in reach-in cooler.
  • Establishment advertised grouper on the menu/menu board but served another type of fish. Menu states grouper being offered, no record of grouper being purchased on invoices. Operator stated they do not use grouper but sell/sub tilapia.

Shogun Sushi located at 15213 N. Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa, 46 violations

  • Employee eating while preparing food.
  • Establishment advertised red snapper on the menu/menu board but served another type of fish. Operator identified fish in sushi case as snapper, but when asked what tilapia was used for he stated they were the same fish and he served tilapia instead of snapper.
  • Establishment advertised grouper on the menu/menu board but served another type of fish. Menu states white tuna is used, invoices show escolar is being ordered.
  • Employee with no hair restraint while engaging in food preparation.

Niko’s Grill located at 14100 Hicks Rd. in Hudson, 39 violations

  • The following ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous foods prepared on site and held more than 24 hours, but not properly date marked: tuna salad, rice, desserts.
  • The following potentially hazardous hot foods were held at less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above: oatmeal 55°, potatoes 102.
  • Accumulation of mold-like substance on juice/drink dispensing nozzles/equipment.

Surf Shack Coastal Kitchen located at 12217 W. Linebaugh Ave. in Tampa, 35 violations

  • Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found: observed 5 live roaches.
  • Observed 2 live, small flying insects in bar area.
  • Objectionable odor in dishroom.
  • Dead roaches on premises: 20 in kitchen and dishroom area.
  • Raw eggs stored over bottle beer.

Mohini Indian Restaurant located at 1219 Kingsway Rd. in Brandon, 35 violations

  • Employee began working with food, handling clean equipment or utensils, or touching unwrapped single-service items without first washing hands.
  • Raw chicken stored over raw goat in freezer.
  • Unnecessary items/unused equipment on the premises: bicycle, stroller.
  • No sanitizer of any kind available for ware washing.

Guido’s Pizza Cafe located at 7217 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill, 33 violations

  • Employee cracked raw shell eggs and then handled ready-to-eat food and/or clean equipment or utensils without washing hands.
  • Dishwasher not trained in proper sanitization or use of dish machines.
  • Interior of microwave soiled with encrusted food debris.
  • Employee personal items stored in or above a food preparation area. Purse and food containers with cans of paste under prep shelf.

Shlomo Gourmet Subs & Deli located at 31483 US 19 N., Palm Harbor, 32 violations

  • Commercially processed ready-to-eat, potentially hazardous (time/temperature control for safety) food opened and held more than 24 hours not properly date marked after opening. Sliced meat, cole slaw in reach-in cooler
  • Food stored in dry storage area not covered: breading.
  • Interior of microwave soiled with encrusted food debris.
  • Walk-in cooler/walk-in freezer floor soiled.
  • Soil residue in food storage containers.
  • Slicer blade guard soiled with old food debris.

Greek Town Grille located at 1228 Cleveland St. in Clearwater, 32 violations

  • Non-exempt fish offered raw or under cooked has not undergone proper parasite destruction: fish must be fully cooked or discarded.
  • The following potentially hazardous cold foods were held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit: 47°F cooked pasta, two containers portioned dated Tuesday, 46°F container of un-portioned pasta dated Sat, 40°F raw meat, 46°F shredded cheese, 46°F block of cheese, 46°F gyro slices, 48°F milk at the bar, 65°F butter blend.
  • Fish not held frozen before, during and after being packaged on site using a reduced oxygen packaging method: yellow fin tuna portion.
  • Employee failed to wash hands before changing gloves and/or putting on gloves to work with food: Cook touched floor and plumbing for sink then donned gloves. Observed cook dip hands in sanitizer then begin to put on gloves.

>>Check out more restaurant ratings 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s