TAMPA, FL (WFLA) – There are plenty of so-called hangover “cures” on the market, as well as home remedies and personal methodologies, but in one study, a team of scientists declared that one cure tops them all: Sprite.
Here’s a look at the top 12 hangover remedies, as compiled by Discovery Health and Men’s Health.
1. Sprite. A new study, conducted by a team of Chinese scientists, found that Sprite was the best way to help get rid of the effects of a hangover. According to the study, Sprite does the trick because of its ability to break down acetaldehyde, a metabolite of ethanol.
2. Bananas. While you were drinking, a lot of potassium drained from your body. Eating a banana bursting with potassium will give you some much-needed nutrients.
3. Sport drinks. These are a great way to replace fluids as well as electrolytes and glucose.
4. Exercise. The endorphins released during exercise could boost your mood and burning off a few calories may ease your guilt about how much you drank.
5. Honey, lemon and hot water. Easy to swallow, this beverage replenishes fluids and sugars lost to a hangover.
6. Pain Medication. Ease a pounding head with a pill or two, but stick to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen), not acetaminophen (Tylenol).
7. Soup, toast or rice. Food might not be the first thing on your mind, but it is needed for energy. Start off slowly with mild, easy-to-digest foods such as plain toast, rice or clear soup.
8. Ice. Put an ice compress on your aching head. Place crushed iced in a plastic bag, wrap in a dry towel and apply it to where it hurts.
9. Juice. Juice, especially freshly squeezed orange juice, will help raise your blood sugar levels and help ease some of your hangover symptoms.
10. Coffee. Caffeine can both treat and cause headaches and migraines, so this one is a personal preference. But if you do down a cup, be sure to drink water, too, since studies suggest caffeine causes dehydration.
11. Vitamins. Studies have found that vitamins don’t necessarily do anything for a hangover, but staying healthy with a multivitamin daily may help curb some effects of the hangover.
12. Prevention. Try to drink responsibly. Limit your drinks to about one every hour. Eat before you drink and try to follow the rule of consuming one alcoholic drink and then one glass of water.
NBCMontana.com, Discovery Health & Men’s Health contributed to this report.