No working smoke detectors in Brooksville house fire

Family was not at home when fire started

Brooksville, Fla. (WFLA) — It was a Christmas Night nightmare for a family in Brooksville.  Or was it?

The family arrived home from a trip to the convenience store to find the garage of their home on Nightwalker Drive engulfed in flames.  They called Hernando County Fire Rescue, who responded within minutes and extinguished the fire.

Further investigation revealed the smoke detectors in the home were not in working order.  Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Carroll wonders what the outcome would’ve been, had the family been at home.  All too often, he says fire victims don’t make it out safely when working smoke detectors aren’t in place.  “Worst case scenario, you could lose your life.  You could lose a family member’s life.”  Said Carroll.  “We’ve had family pets succumb because the folks didn’t get out of the home in time, and weren’t able to get their pets out in time.”

In the Christmas night fire, there were no injuries, but there was significant fire, water and smoke damage to the dwelling.  Belongings can be replaced, people cannot.  That’s why Assistant Chief Carroll believes this fire should send a strong message to everyone out there:  check that your smoke detectors are fully operational, and if they aren’t, replace them.  “This does happen very frequently, whether it’s a rooming contents fire, a kitchen fire and very, very frequently the smoke alarms are not working in the house.”  Said Carroll  “Either they’ve been removed, the batteries are dead and again, this is one of the most essential parts of the home evacuation and fire safety plan.”

Belongings can be replaced, people cannot.  That’s why Assistant Chief Carroll believes this fire should send a strong message to everyone out there:  check that your smoke detectors are fully operational, and if they aren’t, replace them.

“This does happen very frequently, whether it’s a rooming contents fire, a kitchen fire and very, very frequently the smoke alarms are not working in the house,” said Carroll  “Either they’ve been removed, the batteries are dead and again, this is one of the most essential parts of the home evacuation and fire safety plan.”

Hernando County Fire Rescue recommends that smoke detector batteries be replaced at least once a year, and the devices themselves should be replaced every ten years.

 

 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

1 thought on “No working smoke detectors in Brooksville house fire

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s