HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL (WFLA) – There were moments of uncertainty early this morning at Leto high school in Hillsborough County. Sophomore Lisi Osorio said, “there was a gas leak and we had to evacuate everybody had to go out.”
All 2,000 plus students were forced to leave the building.
Among them, sophomore Aileen Silvera who said, “they made us all go out to the football field and the bleachers and it was like crazy and everybody was all over the place.”
Its believed the source of the leak was in a chemistry lab where propane is used for classroom experiments.
Hillsborough county school spokesperson Tanya Arja said, “school had started, class had started, so the assumption is that students had turned them on to get ready for class and maybe didn’t realize that by turning the nozzle what actually might occur so we don’t know whether it was accidental.”
Some students in the classroom where the leak originated said, they sat there for awhile before they were told to leave.
Julie-Marie Vasquez is one of those students.
“I sat down and I am like this smells so awful and my friend said her skin was kind of itching, and we were just sitting there trying to do our work,.but I could not concentrate” said Vasquez.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue rushed to the scene after the leak was reported.
Spokesperson Jessica Coy said, “our first crews that got on the scene were familiar with the school and knew there was a propane tank in the back they went straight to that and shut that off immediately.”
Some students were allowed to go home with parents who arrived at the school.
Others were bused to a nearby middle school. 2 adults and 2 students were taken to the hospital where they were treated and released.