State inspectors found evidence of dead and live roaches and temporarily closed two Tampa Bay eateries from October 19 to 23, 2015. We’ve listed the restaurants that were closed below, along with details about what inspectors say they found.
Asian Chao located at 3800 US Highway 98 N Unit 672 Lakeland
Oct. 19: Restaurant temporarily closed with 23 violations: Dead and live roaches on premises were found. Dead roaches were found in the corn starch bin. Four dead roaches were in the microwave, 18 live roaches were found in the food prep area, four were found at the front counter.
The inspector observed standing and slow-draining water on the floor near the sinks. The chlorine sanitizer was not at proper minimal strength, so the utensils and the equipment were not properly sanitized. The cases of chicken were stored on the floor at the cook’s line. Water was leaking from the pipe and the faucets and handles in the sink. The food was in a container with a cracked or broken lid. The inspector observed the gaskets with slimy mold-like build-up.
Oct. 20: Restaurant reopened with 0 violations.
Scooter’s Saloon located ay 9847 East Adama Drive Tampa
Oct. 23: Restaurant temporarily closed with 16 violations: Live roach activity on the premises: one roach found on wall by prep sink, approximately 10 by the motor reach-in cooler, one roach on the floor by the reach-in cooler, approximately two under the grill top, one on the cove molding by the fryer, one on the floor by the fryer, approximately eight by the motor of the reach-in cooler, one on the wall by the ice machine, approximately two on the floor by the entrance to the front line, approximately 23 under the reach-in freezer in the server area, approximately five on the wheel of the reach-in cooler, approximately three on the wall by the mop sink, one in the cooler with bottled water, approximately 10 on the dolly, two in the breaker box by the mop sink, one on the whisk by the dish machine, one by the handwash sink front line, one on the ceiling by the door of the entrance to the kitchen, two on the shell of the reach-in freezer, one on the floor by the reach-in freezer, one on the reach-in cooler, approximately two by the reach-in cooler motor, one by the prep table. More roaches were found on Oct. 22: one on the wall by the reach-in freezer, one by the reach-in cooler in the server station, one on the door of the entrance to the kitchen, two on the wall on the cook’s line, one on the pipe behind the cook’s line, approximately three on the motor by the reach-in cooler, approximately two by the unused cold-hold drawers under the grill top. Roach excrement and/or droppings were found by the reach-in cooler motors. The walk-in cooler shelves were soiled with encrusted food debris.
Inspectors from Florida’s Department of Business and Professional Regulation conducted the inspections. The department cited violations of Florida’s sanitation and safety laws, which are based on the standards of U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Food Code.
While most establishments correct all violations in a timely manner (often during the inspection), the division’s procedures are designed to compel compliance with all violations through follow-up visits, administration action or closure when necessary, according to the Florida DBPR website.