Suspect dies after police-involved shooting in Tampa

Vehicle driven in the pursuit (WFLA)

TAMPA, FL (WFLA) – One suspect died at the hospital from injuries after being shot by a Tampa police officer in the Villa Largo area, south of Carrollwood, following a pursuit early Monday morning. Police have apprehended three others in the incident as well.

Tampa Police Spokesman Steve Hegarty says the situation started around 2:30 a.m. after officers ran a tag on a stolen vehicle in downtown Tampa. A total of four suspects – three males and one female, all teenagers – were in the vehicle. Hegarty says rather than pursuing the SUV, a police helicopter kept an eye on the car and followed it to an area near Humphrey Street and Grady Ave.

Suspects fled into a wooded area behind the First Presbyterian Church of Tampa (WFLA)

Hegarty says the suspects left the car in the parking lot of the First Presbyterian Church of Tampa at 4307 Humphrey St. and fled into a wooded, swampy area behind the church.

TPD K-9 Officer Jimmy Houston pursued the suspects. One suspect was shot after a scuffle with police and attempting to drown both the K-9 Titus and Officer Houston in the swamp, Hegarty says.

According to TPD, the suspect pushed the dog under water and Titus lost consciousness. The dog was floating in the water when Houston pulled him out. The attacker tried to push Houston down too. Officer Houston was wearing the standard equipment and vest, which weighs roughly 35 pound, according to TPD. When the attacker tried to push him down, Houston fired one shot injuring him.

The suspect and the dog was pulled out of water. K9 Titus was resuscitated and officers performed chest compressions on the suspect until he was taken to a hospital.

Both the officer and the police dog are being checked out, but did not suffer serious injuries.

K9 Titus. Image courtesy TPD
K9 Titus. Image courtesy TPD

Officer Houston is on paid administrative leave following the department’s standard procedure.

The suspect was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital with life-threatening injuries where he later died. He was identified as Kobvey Igbuhay, 18.

Two other male suspects were apprehended after the incident. The fourth suspect, a female, hid in the woods near Humphrey Street and Grady Ave. for more than two hours, and was taken into custody around 6:30 a.m.

They were identified as Dominic Robles, 18, and Shakira Rodriguez, also 18. The third male suspect is 16 years old, and TPD didn’t reveal his identity. Their charges are pending.

Dozens of officers surrounded the area on the ground and a Tampa police helicopter stayed overhead while the fourth suspect was at large. Police say the suspect was taken into custody alive and in good condition.

Hegarty advised residents in the area to be cautious and remain indoors while the search was ongoing.

Stay with for updates. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

1 thought on “Suspect dies after police-involved shooting in Tampa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s