TAMPA, FL (WFLA) — The Tampa Fire Marshal and Red Cross will install smoke detectors and teach people about fire safety plans in a Northeast Tampa neighborhood, devastated by a deadly house fire on Tuesday morning. Officials plan to be in the neighborhood around 4:30 p.m.
Two children and their grandmother died in a fire at the home at 3720 E Paris St. A third child, 8-year-old Romello Jackson, was last listed in critical condition at Tampa General Hospital.
Tampa Fire investigators say there were no working smoke detectors in the home. The Fire Marshal believes the kids were trying to escape, but couldn’t escape because of the burglar bars on the windows. The boys’ grandmother, 61-year-old Sheryl James, died at the scene. Emjay Jackson, age 3, and Rashard Ashley, age 8, died at the hospital.
Fire investigators blame the fire on a short in an overloaded power strip.
Click the reminder button below and share our post to help remind others to check their smoke detectors.