7 taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning at Walmart

AVALON PARK, FL (AP) – Thirteen people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after a Walmart in Avalon Park was evacuated.

Orange County Fire Rescue officials say the gas had reached unsafe levels of 400 parts per million by 4 a.m. Sunday. Levels above 35 ppm are considered excessive. Even fire officials had to wait several minutes to enter the building because the CO levels were too high.

Fire Rescue spokeswoman Kathleen Kennedy say 13 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Seven were taken to local hospitals and others refused treatment.

The cause is still under investigation, but constructions crews were working inside the store overnight with propane tools.

The Orlando Sentinel reports a hazmat team and mass casualty incident team responded. The building was deemed safe around 7:30 a.m.

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s