AUSTIN (KXAN) – An autopsy has revealed the baby boy who died after being rescued from a car in Southeast Austin died from overheating.
According to the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office, 3-month-old Carylton Stewart officially died from hyperthermia. The infant would have been four months next week.
Police were originally called out to the Waffle House at 7809 E. Ben White Blvd. on Thursday afternoon after receiving a call about a child found unconscious and not breathing inside an unlocked car. Police said Waffle House employees saw the child and were able to get him out before emergency crews arrived.
Authorities say because the death has been ruled accidental, no charges have been filed and no arrests have been made in the case. The case remains an open and active investigation and all information gathered will be presented to a grand jury.
“With the heat like it is, going through this heatwave, it only takes the temperature in a car 10 minutes to rise 20 to 30 degrees,” said Austin police Corporal Chad Martinka. “With it being in the upper 90s right now, you can only imagine that car in 10, 20, 30 minutes.”
The temperature at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport at 2:30 p.m. Thursday was 98 degrees with a heat index of 106.