Hungry Palmetto seniors no longer banned from getting food

PALMETTO, Fla (WFLA) – Hungry seniors have been frustrated and frightened at the Carlyn Estates mobile home park in Palmetto. They reached out to 8 On Your Side for help when, they said, food bank deliveries were being banned from the park.

In addition, when food was delivered, management would trail behind the delivery van in a golf cart, watching every move, residents said. Some residents told News Channel 8 they were scared to take the food and would turn it down, fearing eviction. “She told us she’d kick us out if we accept food,” one said.

“They’re scared. They really are scared because they don’t want to be evicted. She cannot evict you for getting food,” another resident, Rodney Piatt, said.

When 8 On Your Side first went to management last week, we were ignored, despite repeated requests for an interview. News Channel 8 wanted to hear the manager’s side of the story.

The situation has finally improved. On Tuesday food was delivered to the park – without hostility or threats. “Honey, you are the best. Thank you for what you’ve done. I am just so pleased. I can’t even put it into words,” resident Diane Kline told News Channel 8.

8 On Your Side reached out to lawmakers and county commissioners. We even took the fight all the way to Tallahassee. A senior advocate saw the News Channel 8 story and decided to help. “It was shocking to the point where some of us were in tears. What we learned over time, this has been an ongoing problem,” Christie Castro said.

Christie reached out to the manager at Carlyn Estates, and after many phone calls, emails and negotiations, the two had a three-hour marathon meeting. It turns out the manager wants a speedy delivery when residents get their food on Tuesdays. She claims volunteers had been sorting the food in each driveway.

It is a compromise Christie is hoping will work so that seniors can keep getting the food they desperately need. “I’m thrilled. I’m glad you guys did it because it brought to light that there was a problem. Now the advocacy council was able to step in and solve it,” she said. On Friday 28 residents will have a formal meeting with management to talk about this compromise and how to continue feeding seniors peacefully.

 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s