Bradenton family without home after lightning causes fire

No injuries were reported

Manatee firefighters battled fire that was caused by a lightning bolt.

MANATEE COUNTY, FL (WFLA) – A Bradenton family is without a home tonight after an early morning lightning strike sparks a fire in their attic. Just before 8 a.m., Manatee County Fire Officials said powerful storms ripped through the area, with a bolt of lightning sparking a blaze in the attic of a home at 6538 Flycatcher Lane in Manatee County.

Four engines responded to the call. 8 On Your Side spoke with the homeowner, who said at first, he had no idea the lightning had actually hit his home.

“We heard a pop, so we assumed it was probably some place else. All of a sudden, we started seeing smoke. And once we started seeing smoke, we realized it was probably our home where the lightning struck at,” said Reginald Davis.

Fire officials estimate the damages will amount to more than $100,000. The home is currently unlivable.

MORE FROM WFLA.COM:

 

 

 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

4 thoughts on “Bradenton family without home after lightning causes fire

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s