Boy, 4, dies after accidentally ingesting cinnamon

Boy, 4, dies after accidentally ingesting cinnamon (Image 1)

(WLEX) The parents of a Richmond, Kentucky child are planning a funeral after they say he accidentally swallowed cinnamon powder.

Brianna Radar says her 4-year-old son, Matthew, was a climber. Wednesday morning he explored the kitchen at her apartment. While exploring, he got his hands on powdered cinnamon and began putting in his mouth.

What followed next, the coroner says, was a tragic accident.

“He started choking, it was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed,” says his mother.

Matthew was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead an hour and a half later. The coroner says cinnamon can cause asphyxiation when inhaled.

Teens and adults have participated in an online trend called “The Cinnamon Challenge,” in which they attempt to eat large amounts of the powder. Matthew’s mother want his death, although not related to the Cinnamon Challenge, to serve as a warning for others.

“To let people know cinnamon can kill. All these kids to the cinnamon challenge. They don’t think about the fact it can hurt them,” she says.

Matthew’s organs were donated to hopefully save other lives.

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s