The Hillsborough County School District offers these suggestions for summer safety and student resources-
Slather on the sunscreen – childhood sunburns are not only painful, but increase the risk of developing skin cancer later in life.
Keep the mosquitoes and ticks at bay – protect your family from bites and diseases transmitted by insects.
Practice water safety – drowning is one of the leading causes of death for children under 14, with nearly 90 percent of these deaths occurring during the summer months.
Bike Safety – make sure your kids know that helmets are not optional.
Fire Safety – stay smart around the house. Every summer there is increased risk of fires due to the use of barbecues, gasoline, fireworks, air conditioners and other electric appliances.
Stop the Violence – help kids become empowered to stand up for themselves. A courageous and positive outlook will keep them safe from bullying and teen dating violence.
As the summer approaches, parents look for opportunities for their children to learn new things, stay safe and have something to do in the summer. The city, county, churches, and other agencies have programs to meet all of these needs.
- City Parks & Recreations: 813-274-8615 Offering traditional and specialty camps throughout Tampa parks & recs facilities like fine arts, field trips, and more. For information on summer public pool schedules visit the City of Tampa Parks & Recreation website or click here.
- County Parks & Recreations: 813-635-3500 Adventures in Recreation offers traditional, teen, and specialty camps like fishing, art, skateboarding throughout the county.
- Boys and Girls Club: 813-875-5771 Providing summer programs at their clubs equipped with technology centers, teen lounges, arts and crafts rooms, libraries, kitchens, and gyms.
- Boy Scouts: 813-872-2691 x117 Offering 3 different summer camps, leadership, emergency preparedness, and anti-bullying training as a member, and more.
- Girls Scouts: 813-281-4475 Offering day camps, overnight camps, travel camps, and equestrian camps, etc.
- HOST (Hillsborough Out of School Time): 813-744-8941 Programs take place at public schools throughout the county featuring outdoor fun, learning, and field trips.
- YMCA: 813-224-9622 Providing fitness, youth sports, personal training, gymnastics, education & leadership for all ages.Hillsborough County Public Schools Student Nutrition Services (SNS) offers breakfast and lunch at 90 schools, parks & rec sites, and on mobile buses from June 16 through August 8. For more information dial 211 for closest open feeding site.