A python underwent surgery in Australia to have a pair of barbecue tongs removed after the hungry reptile swallowed it.
According to local media, the owner said he was trying to feed his python, named “Winston,” a rat using the tongs when it swallowed both of the items entirely.
See more: X-rays show crazy things pets eat
Winston’s owner, Aaron Rouse, said he took the snake to a veterinary expert at the University of Adelaide to try and save his pet. Rouse said the vet took some convincing that the python actually had the tongs stuck in its belly.
“I can remember Doctor Oliver saying to me, ‘Now are you sure the tongs are in his belly?’ And I said, unequivocally, ‘Yes, you can read the brand name of the tongs through his skin,” said Rouse.
X-rays confirmed that Winston had swallowed the tongs and the python underwent surgery. It took the vet and his team about 20 minutes to remove the metal.
Local media reported that Winston received seven stitches and is recovering, but will be unable to eat much for about two to four weeks.
Copyright 2015 WFLA. All rights reserved.