We’re just weeks away from the 2015 hurricane season and there are several Expos being offered in our viewing area to help you prepare and keep your family safe. Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30.
We hear this plea every year from the various counties’ emergency management services, “make time to take a few minutes to develop your family’s personal emergency plan.” Attending one of the hurricane expos being offered in the coming weeks is a great opportunity to do just that, says Steve Jerve, WFLA TV’s, Chief Meteorologist.
Below is a list the upcoming Hurricane Expos and News Channel 8 will have its 2015 HURRICANE-READY GUIDE available at all of them.
· April 26, (Sun., noon – 5 p.m.) Pasco County Hurricane Expo at Sims Park in downtown New Port Richey in Pasco County. This year’s Expo is a featured event of the Cotee River Seafood, Blues and Boat Show Festival. http://www.pascocountyfl.net/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=903
· May, 16 (Sat., 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.) – Citrus All Hazards & Hurricane Expo at Crystal River Mall (in the old Belk Lindsey store location) in Citrus County.
· May, 16 (Sat., 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.) – Seminole Hurricane Expo at City of Seminole Recreation Complex http://www.paradisenewsfl.com/events-2/may-2015-footer/4727-city-of-seminole-hurricane-expo-may-16.html Meet and greet Storm Team 8 meteorologists JULIE PHILLIPS
· May 16, (Sat., 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.) Auburndale Hurricane Expo at Community Center and Gym in Auburndale. Meet and greet Storm Team 8 meteorologist LEIGH SPANN. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1nWqUNfq80
· May, 30 (Sat., 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.) – Tampa Bay Hurricane Expo at MOSI in Tampa http://www.tampabayhurricaneexpo.com/ Meet and greet Storm Team 8 Chief Meteorologist Steve Jerve
“No matter what the seasonal forecast for hurricanes say, your preparations should be the same every year. Find out if you live in a flood zone, have an evacuation plan if necessary, and protect your home and family to survive before, during and after a storm,” says Jerve.
Hernando, Sarasota and Manatee counties are not hosting a hurricane expos this year.
News Channel 8 is airing a new hurricane special, “Surviving the Storm: A Storm Team 8 Special” on Saturday, May 30 from 7-8 p.m. on News Channel 8.